Kyoto Budogu Blog

Monday, March 31, 2014

Three of Four: Saga



It has taken me longer to evaluate the "High Performance" shinai Saga.
I had just experience the comforting feeling of the Suzaku, so easy to direct and control, and here I found myself handling something completely different.
Saga requires some time to master, because, in a sense, it places itself between a full Dobari and a regular shinai. The grip is larger (surely closer to Kyogoku, if not identical), but the balance is not completely moved towards the hands. The tip has still some weight, which could be welcome for sharpness`s sake, but that takes some time to understand and to adjust.
It is not a Prêt-à-Porter shinai: it needs to be discovered and extensively used to offer its full potential.
I have developed the impression that, in the Ladies`39 version, it remains a bit on the tip-heavy side - nevertheless the feeling of sheer power is still very evident: I guess it should be a really ferocious monster with the Men`s 39  weight.




No comments:

Post a Comment